How to make a complaint

Informal complaint

If you are dissatisfied with our actions, lack of any actions, or the standard or service provided by us, let us know. This gives us the opportunity to put things right and review the way we do things in the future.

Most problems can be resolved by talking through the issue with either the person you’ve been dealing with or their line manager. Complaints can often be sorted out immediately this way.

Formal complaint

If you would like to make a formal complaint:

or call us on 0300 065 3000 to make your complaint over the phone

These will be handled in accordance with our complaints and commendations policy.

Please note that a complaint is not:

  • an initial request for a service – please see our contact details
  • an appeal by a 3rd party against a ‘properly made’ decision by Natural Resources Wales, except where that 3rd party is a regulated business raising an informal appeal
  • a means to seek change to legislation or a ‘properly made’ policy decision
  • a means for lobbying groups/organisations to seek to promote a cause

See how to access our information if the matter relates to a Freedom of Information or Data Protection issue.

Public Services Ombudsman for Wales

If you feel that the way we have dealt with your complaint has been unsatisfactory, please contact the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.

The Ombudsman will expect you have brought your concerns to our attention first such that we have had an opportunity to put things right.

Welsh Language

You can make a complaint to us if we fail to provide a Welsh language service, or if anyone is unsatisfied with the standard of the Welsh language service we provide. 

You can also make a complaint to the Welsh Language Commissioner.

 We will deal with all complaints received as stated in our Complaints and Commendation Policy  including those received in relation to our failure to comply with our Welsh Language Standards, Service Delivery Standards, Policy Keeping Standards and Operational Standards. Complaints received in Welsh or English will not be treated differently in terms of the response times.

We have a dedicated Complaints and Commendation Team who handle complaints according to the Public Services Ombudsman (Wales) Act 2005, including those in relation to our Welsh Language Standards. Any complaint received in relation to our Standards will be discussed with our Welsh Language Policy Advisor and the relevant part of the business concerned. Our Complains and Commendation Team co-ordinate the response and correspond with the complainant in all instances.

Last updated