Completing hazardous waste consignment notes
When hazardous waste is moved to or from any location in Wales it needs to be accompanied by a hazardous waste consignment note.
The only exceptions are:
- In most cases you can move domestic hazardous waste from a home without a consignment note. However, contractors moving asbestos from a domestic property will need to use consignment notes
- There are a small number of situations where we will not pursue the need for a consignment note. Please see our Guidance Statement http://naturalresources.wales/media/1205/guidance-statement-premises-notification-for-the-hazardous-waste-regulations.pdf
- When hazardous waste is imported or exported under the International Waste Shipments rules, the documentation required means you do not need a consignment note
Consignment note procedure
The consignment note procedure is set out in the Hazardous Waste (Wales) Regulations 2005 as amended and must be followed by all the parties in the waste movement.
The consignment note number to be completed in Part A1 of the note must follow the format set out below:
- Where the waste is collected from a registered producer the note number must be in the form Premises Code followed by a set of five letters or numbers that are unique. Read more about premises registration
- If the waste is collected from an exempt producer then the note number must be in the form of EXE followed by eight letters or numbers that make the consignment note number unique
In Part B2 of the form the Standard industry Classification (SIC) for the process giving rise to the waste must be entered. For consignment note completion we will either accept SIC 2003 or SIC 2007.
If the consignment forms part of a multiple collection then details of that multiple round must be entered in Part C of each note by the carrier. The round number is common to each collection in the multiple round and can be made up of any 15 letters or numbers. The collection number is the sequential number of the collection so 1 for the first collection, 2 for the second collection and so on.
When the vehicle reaches the consignee the total number of consignments in forming the collection must be entered into relevant section in Part E of the form by the consignee.